Welcome to the City of Leadville's Police Department
Life in Leadville...
Our goal is to provide progressive, high-quality police services to residents of and visitors to the City of Leadville. In order to achieve this goal, we are committed to working collaboratively with all members of the community in a manner that develops trust, transparency and open lines of communication.
We Are Hiring...
Leadville Police Department
We don’t have a SWAT team, K-9’s, Helicopters or big-city style policing.
What we DO have are opportunities for creative, civic-minded, culturally competent police officer candidates who want to work closely with our community to provide fair, just and equitable law enforcement services.
Leadville is a “real” mountain town, surrounded by some of Colorado’s highest mountain peaks and less than an hour away from world class skiing destinations like Vail and Copper Mountain. Our city is surrounded by National Forests with miles of mountain biking and hiking trails, groomed cross-country skiing and access to top-notch backcountry skiing. Nearby Turquoise Lake offers fishing, boating and stand-up paddleboarding. The Upper Arkansas River offers gold medal fly-fishing and there are many miles of trails open to powersports in winter and summer.
As a Leadville Police Officer, your duties would include the following:
- Interact with members of the community in a manner that is respectful, professional and beyond reproach.
- Work effectively with community organizations and neighboring law enforcement organizations.
- Work collaboratively with community stake holders and citizens to solve issues equitably.
- Perform a wide variety of investigative tasks.
- Produce written documentation to a high standard.
- Answer a wide variety of calls for service with courtesy and professionalism.
- Be ready to perform all duties in a high alpine climate with challenging winter weather conditions.
Our pay and benefits package includes:
- A three-tried pay scale with 6 annual merit-based pay steps based on level of education with a pay range between; $53,000 and $81,170.
- Pay incentives for: Spanish language proficiency (must pass language skills assessment) 5%, night-shift differential (3%), Field Training Officer (5%), on-call pay (25% of base salary while on-call).
- 120hrs. of PTO and 10 paid holidays to start with longevity-based PTO increases.
- Health, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Individual and Public Service retirement plans.
- After 1 year of service; $600 annual wellness benefit (can be used for ski passes).
Applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Must be a high school graduate.
- Be able to work legally in the United States.
- Be 21 years of age or older.
- Pass a comprehensive background check.
- Pass physical and psychological assessments.
- Pass a written skills assessment and oral board interview.
- Spanish language skills are highly desirable.
To apply, click here.
To request a record from the Police Department, please print, complete, and return the Records Request Form to the Police Department.
Leadville Police Department Policies: