The Colorado Department of Transportation and prime
contractor, United Companies, will be conducting the following work on
United States Highway 24:
- Improvements to most intersections in the work zone: demolition
and reconstruction of curbs and gutters
- Accessibility improvements in compliance with the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA); reconstruction of approximately 90 curb ramps; sidewalk additions and tie-ins; new signal at 6th St. & Harrison Ave. (US 24)
- Two miles of asphalt resurfacing from Mountain View Dr. to Elm St.
- The project team is working closely with the City of Leadville and other contractors conducting work in the area to minimize overall impacts. The City will have alternative plans for parking that will be publicized at a later date. Alternating intersections in town will remain open to allow for pedestrian flow and easier access to downtown businesses. The team also is taking protective measures as it relates to historic preservation.
Proposed Work Schedule
- Work to begin the first part of May and go through October.
- Normal working hours will be from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through
Friday. In special cases these hours may be extended.
- May through August: Demolition/reconstruction of curbs & gutters
- June through July: Replacement of traffic signal
- September through project end: Milling & paving
- Sidewalk detours & closures
- Shoulder closures
- Possible one-lane closures during paving operations
LEADVILLE NATURAL GAS XCEL ENERGY PROJECT
XCEL ENERGY PROJECT WEBSITE
Xcel Energy Project Weekly Update 10.20.2023
Xcel Energy Project Weekly Update 10.13.2023
Xcel Energy Project Weekly Update 10.06.2023
Xcel Energy Project Weekly Update 09.29.2023
Xcel Energy Project Weekly Update 09.22.2023
Xcel Energy Project Weekly Update 09.15.2023
Xcel Energy Project Weekly Update 09.08.2023
Xcel Energy Project Weekly Update 09.01.2023
Xcel Energy Project Weekly Update 08.25.2023
Xcel Energy Project Weekly Update 08.18.2023
Xcel Energy Project Weekly Update 08.11.2023
Xcel Energy Project Weekly Update 08.04.2023
Xcel Energy Project Weekly Update 07.28.2023
Xcel Energy Project Weekly Update 07.21.2023
Xcel Energy Project Weekly Update 07.14.2023
Xcel Energy Project Weekly Update 07.07.2023
Xcel Energy Project Weekly Update 06.30.2023
Xcel Energy Project Weekly Update 06.23.2023
Xcel Energy Project Weekly Update 06.16.2023
Xcel Energy is working on a multi-year project to renew the natural gas system in Lake County and Leadville. The project started in 2019 and will continue for the next several years. Please note that the project schedule is subject to change.
The project is being constructed as part of Xcel Energy’s commitment to system revitalization and will ensure the continued safe and reliable natural gas service our customers expect.
PROJECT INFORMATION SHEET
Xcel Energy will work with the Colorado Department of Transportation to coordinate construction activities along U.S. Highway 24 through unincorporated Lake County and the City of Leadville.
We will install the natural gas line by both open trenching and boring construction methods.
Open trenching involves digging a trench and placing the natural gas line within this trench.
Boring involves using a bore machine to create an underground pathway through which the natural gas line is pulled.
Existing exterior natural gas meters on the north or east sides of buildings will be relocated to the south or west sides of buildings to avoid roof-melt drips from refreezing on meters.
During construction, we will take measures to reduce public inconveniences.
Potential inconveniences from construction may include:
- Partial or complete road closures.
- Traffic control measures such as flaggers and
- Detour signs.
- Changes to residential and business access.
- Elevated levels of noise during construction and
- Testing of the natural gas line.
- Vibration near construction sites.
After construction has been completed in work areas, we will restore work areas to the conditions required by permits.
Public safety is at the foundation of all we do. The safety of the public around our natural gas system influences every decision we make.
We take a proactive approach to public safety by implementing safety measures before, during, and after construction.
The Leadville Natural Gas Project has been designed to continue to meet federal and state standards and safety requirements for installing, maintaining and operating natural gas infrastructure.
For additional information on our commitment to safety, please visit our Public Safety page.
For additional information, to subscribe to email updates, or to submit questions and comments,
call the project hotline at 833-359-0105 or email the project team at Info@XcelEnergyLeadvilleGasProject.com.
LEADVILLE INTERSECTION US 24 & MOUNTAIN VIEW DRIVE
MTN VIEW HWY 24 PROJECT WEBSITE
This project has been suspended for the winter season and will resume when the weather permits likely in MAY 2020.
During the winter shutdown, the intersection will be controlled by stop signs.
Starting Aug. 12, 2019, crews began the project to replace traffic signals and improve the intersection.
Specific improvements will include:
- replacing existing span wire signals with mast arm signals;
- upgrading push buttons and signals for pedestrians
- upgrading sidewalks to meet Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA) requirements at all four corners of the intersection;
- including ADA-compliant curb ramps;
- improving storm drain inlets; and
- widening westbound US 24 to provide a new deceleration/acceleration lane into and out of the new development.
- Goal: Improve safety and mobility at the intersection of US 24 and Mountain View Drive.
- Cost: $1.2 million
August - mid-December 2019
- Project Partners: This project is a partnership between the City of Leadville and CDOT.
- The City of Leadville contracted with Technology Constructors, Inc. for construction and obtained additional funding from High Country Developers, LLC.
Those with questions or comments, or those wanting to receive weekly project updates via email, may call the project information line at (719) 427-0950 or email the project team at email@example.com. The project web site is https://www.codot.gov/projects/us-24-mountain-view-drive-leadville